What is GDPR?
The European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), is a new piece of legislation which amends the existing Data Protection Act 1998, changing the law around how organisations can process the personal information of customers. Enforcement date: 25th May 2018. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)is expected to set a new standard for consumer rights regarding their data, but companies will be challenged as they put systems and processes in place to comply. It carries provisions that require businesses to protect the personal data and privacy of EU citizens for transactions that occur within EU member states. The GDPR also regulates the exportation of personal data outside the EU.
What Homes For You is doing
We are focusing on:
- Ensuring we can respond to requests from individuals to exercise their rights (of subject access, erasure and portability)
- Reviewing and updating the consents we obtain from clients, including consent to receive email marketing and consent to send lead and valuation requests.
- Updating our software, secure firewalls and other measures to restrict electronic access
What type of information will we collect from you?
- Full name(passport, driving licence, etc) and contact details (including your contact number, email and previous / current addresses)
- Your banking details where required such as where you are letting a property or, where renting, to set up an approved tenancy deposit account for you and arrange for rental payments.
- Your communications with us, including a record of the email or telephone correspondence created when you contact us as part of a product or service query, where we need to collect personal data by law (for example to meet our obligations to prevent fraud and money laundering) or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with our services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us, but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
How we use your data
- Communicate with you during the course of providing our services, for example with your enquiries and requests
- We may use your identity documentation to verify your identity where we are required to do so by law or we believe we need to in order to verify and establish your identity for commercial reasons.
- We may use your personal information to providing you with products and services you have requested, visiting and arranging viewings of your property, house inspection, etc. Our legal basis for this use is that it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party.
- To notify you about changes to our services
- To process payments and transactions
- To share your information with others where necessary to fulfil our property services for you or where acting as agent for a third party on your behalf. This including all relevant parties such as Utility providers, Local council Tax department, Police, etc.
- Carrying out referencing tenants / guarantor and carrying out credit check on Right to Rent checks via Rent4Sure.
Security of your data
At Homes For You, all information you provide to us is stored on our secure database. We take appropriate technical and organisational precautions to secure your personal information and prevent its loss, misuse or alteration. The computers that store the information are kept in a secure facility with restricted physical access and we use the most up to date virus protection software and secure firewalls and other measures to restrict unauthorise electronic access.
At Homes For You, we are not responsible or have no control over third party sites. In additionally, you should check with their own privacy policies, terms and condition of use before providing them with any personal information.
You have a right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you, known as a data subject access request.
To object to us processing your personal information for marketing purposes. If you object, we will stop processing your personal information for this purpose. When we collect your data, you can choose whether or not you wish to receive marketing communications from us. If you wish to stop receiving marketing communications, you can opt out at any time by clicking an ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of one of our emails.
Withdraw your consent
You have the right at any time to withdraw any consent you have given us to process your personal data. Please note if you withdraw your consent it will not affect the lawfulness of any processing of your personal data we have carried out before you withdrew your consent. Should you wish to do so you can change your consent preferences at any time at 6 Brighton Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 6AA. Alternatively, contact us on 01293 510012.
For further information on how to prepare for GDPR, and what’s required, please visit the ICO (UK data protection regulator) website. For more information, please follow the link
ICO helpline: 0303 1231113
Fax: 01625 524510
Address: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF